Service Trip: America, formerly called Mission Trip: America (MTA), is a service-learning program sponsored by Life Chiropractic College West. This student/faculty coalition provides complimentary chiropractic care for the San Francisco Day Labor Program, whose members have little or no access to health care.
We know that when we share an experience, we learn from each other. This program is about sharing our resources and our experiences with others from a core of service and abundance.
Service Trip: America offers students the opportunity to:
- Express selfless service and benevolence
- Gain experience in addressing a unique array of
- Hone communication skills
- Expand public awareness and education about chiropractic
- Learn appreciation for the underserved members of our community
- Bring a free chiropractic clinic to those with little or no access to health care
The program was founded in August 2008 by two Life West students and the Life West Academic Counselor, who shared a desire to serve the health needs of those in our own backyard. Communities right here in the U.S. are experiencing many of the same conditions as underserved populations in third-world countries. As the availability of affordable health care declines in the United States, it is evident that people need our help. In an effort to close the gap between the affluent and the impoverished, the Service Trip: America team provides complimentary chiropractic care to the San Francisco Day Labor Program, many of whose members are also jobless and homeless. All care is overseen by licensed Doctors of Chiropractic.
Life Chiropractic College West has a legacy of commitment to service. Service Trip: America echoes that mission to promote the health and overall well-being of all people, regardless of status, through service and collective action among community members and professional volunteers, students and participants.
Our vision is to affect the world population with improved health, to unite the fortunate and less fortunate and to leave the world a better place.
Who is eligible to participate?
- Are actively enrolled
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Are HIPAA-trained
- Serve as Life West faculty
- Are HIPAA-trained
How to apply
- Complete an application from the Life West Academic Counselor in the Academic Success Center
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a Life West instructor, clinic doctor or another chiropractor
- Complete HIPAA training
- Pay a $20 fee/donation to the Business Office
- Interview with Service Trip: America Program Director
Once your application is complete and you have been accepted into the program, you will receive a welcome packet and be included on a distribution list for notification of upcoming events. All members have an opportunity to participate in any monthly event, either as an assistant or as an adjusting intern, depending on your clinic eligibility.
Lori Pino, Program Director
Life Chiropractic College West
Academic Success Center, Room 107D
25001 Industrial Blvd, Hayward, CA 94545
+1 (510) 780-4500 x2061 | firstname.lastname@example.org