Following are further updates to our college activities resulting from instructions received this week from Alameda County Public Health Department. Also watch out for another message from the Office of Academic Affairs to all students on more classes moving online. The updates below cover student activities and other services which will continue on campus.
We are complying with these orders from ACPHD to ensure students continue to progress through the program without interruption. These orders will be lifted by ACPHD once the number of cases that have been on campus come down to the county’s benchmark.
- Any classroom still used for on-campus instruction will be physically distanced to six feet apart. Please respect these distances and do not move your tables/chairs closer.
- Starting Monday August 16, 2021, all clubs that are not “hands on” are encouraged to have their activities online. If the club meeting is on campus please observe all the required protocols.
- Small student activities may occur outdoors, but large events will need to be rescheduled to a later time or managed virtually.
- Fitness Center opening hours are now limited to 7-9am, 12-2pm and 4-6pm, and capacity at any one time is limited to 5 users. This will be managed through an online booking system that is available here. Supervisors will be on hand to ensure that all users stay in compliance with county requirements. All users must clean/sanitize all equipment prior to and after use. The entire facility is sanitized every morning prior to opening.
- Cardio equipment in the gym has been ten foot distanced and all users must clean/sanitize all equipment prior to and after use.
- The infrared saunas have been closed until further notice.
- The gym can be used for small groups wearing masks, and again all equipment must be cleaned/sanitized prior to and after use.
- Seating in the cafe dining area has been distanced to ensure all diners are six foot apart and no more than two per table. The two exterior cafe doors are now being kept open at all times to ensure high volume fresh air flow through the dining space. The dining area is fully sanitized daily and users should clean/sanitize their table prior to and after use.
- All classrooms and common areas are being sanitized daily using an electrostatic sanitizing system which is Covid rated.
- Self sanitation stations for all spaces have been refreshed and are regularly serviced to ensure supplies are plentiful. All employees and students are encouraged to self-sanitize their desks, chairs and equipment before use.
- For everyone’s information, college classroom and common area ventilation consists of 56 package HVAC units with two filters, rated at MERV-9 which trap viruses carried in airborne respiratory droplets. MERV-9 is the highest level of filter than our systems will allow. The filters are all changed quarterly, and the last servicing was done on 8/4. Our front building system servicing the Health Center and Executive Offices has a bank of 30 MERV-9 filters, also changed out quarterly.
Masks: Per ACPHD orders, everyone who enters the campus building must wear a mask fully over their mouth and nose. This is not optional unless you are eligible for an exemption per the Alameda County order. Surgical and N95 masks are free and available at the Bookstore, Student Life and HR Office on request to all students and employees.
Enforcement: College administration are now spot checking classrooms, labs and offices to ensure masks are worn at all times by faculty, staff and students. Failure to comply with the Alameda County order and LCCW Covid Prevention Plan will result in corrective action:
- First failure to comply will result in a verbal warning and you will be expected to comply immediately
- Second failure to comply will result in removal from campus for the remainder of the day
- Third failure to comply will result in disciplinary action up to and including suspension/termination
Guidelines Following a Known Exposure to Covid
It is important to restate the guidelines following a known exposure to Covid. These apply both to those who are vaccinated and those who are not vaccinated.
Exposure/Close Contact is defined as being in the presence of someone who is Covid positive for 15+ minutes under six foot distance.
When to Self-Isolate or Quarantine per ACPHD
Unvaccinated: If you are unvaccinated and you have been notified by Life West as having had close contact (as defined above) with someone that tested positive for Covid, you must self-isolate and quarantine for 14 days from date of exposure, even if you have no symptoms. If you have symptoms, or develop symptoms later, you must self-isolate and quarantine until the symptoms abate, plus 10 more days beyond that.
Vaccinated: If you are vaccinated and you have been notified by Life West as having had close contact (as defined above) with someone that tested positive for Covid, you do not have to quarantine if you do not have symptoms. If you do have symptoms, you must self-isolate and quarantine until symptoms abate, plus 10 more days beyond that.
If You Receive a Covid Positive Result
Whether you are vaccinated or unvaccinated, you must self-isolate and quarantine, if asymptomatic for 14 days; if you are symptomatic you must self-isolate and quarantine until symptoms abate plus 10 further days. As always, students must report positive test results to Professor Straub; employees must report positive test results to Tarsha Addison.
These protocols and guidelines apply the same to everyone, whether student, faculty, or employee, and will be strictly enforced. For any enquiries, please refer to the following:
Students – Professor David Straub at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interns – Dr. Lauren Clum at email@example.com
Employees – Tarsha Addison at firstname.lastname@example.org
Life West Advice on Staying Healthy
We encourage everyone to keep your nervous system functioning to the best of its ability by seeing your chiropractor or intern, get plenty of fresh air and exercise, eat healthy and nutritious foods, stay hydrated, keep a positive mental attitude, stay mindful, and support and respect each other. We will get through this together.
Life West Taskforce Team