Educational benefits are available to veterans attending Life West through a variety of assistance programs provided by the federal government. Currently, only the Hayward campus is approved for Veterans Benefits. The college is pursuing the application process for the Bellevue campus (time unknown)
Life West students at the Hayward campus are eligible to use the following benefit options:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill ® * (Chapter 33)
- Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA, Chapter 35)
- Montgomery GI Bill—Active Duty (MGIB-AD, Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI Bill—Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR, Chapter 1606)
- Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP, Chapter 32)
- Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E, Chapter 31)
To check your eligibility go to : www.GIBILL.va.gov
*GI bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/
Point of Contact for Veterans needing assistance with academic counseling, financial counseling, disability counseling, and other information regarding completing the program: Brenda Johnson, Financial Aid Director and VA Certifying Official. Brenda may refer veterans to other individuals on campus to provide appropriate services.
Tuition Payment – The Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 (Public Law 115-407)
Post 911 GI Bill (chapter 33) and VR&E (chapter 31) veterans may attend courses from the date that Life Chiropractic College West is provided with a Certificate of Eligibility or a VAF 28-1905 authorization form. Life West will not impose any penalty or late fees or require the veteran to borrow additional funds to cover tuition due to late payment from the VA. This policy will allow a student to attend Life Chiropractic College West until the VA provides payment to the college or 90 days have passed since the date of certification of benefits for the term.
How does it work?
The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010
All payment and maximum amounts listed below are applicable to veterans eligible for the full benefit (100% eligibility tier). If you are not eligible for the full benefit, the amounts will be prorated based on your eligibility percentage.
This program caps payment at $27,120 (as of 8/1/23) for a 12 month period for private education. In addition, the Post-9/11 Act provides a monthly housing allowance is approximately $3,465 (please visit https://www.va.gov/gi-bill-comparison-tool to calculate your MHA) and a $1,000 annual book allowance per academic year.
Yellow Ribbon Program
At Life West, tuition for a 12 month period would exceed the private education cap; therefore, we recommend that eligible veterans participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. This specialized program allows the VA and educational institutions to enter into agreements to help cover the cost of tuition above the cap for private colleges. Life West participates with unlimited veterans and unlimited matching; thereby, covering tuition not already provided for by the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The college contributes funds above the annual cap for private colleges and the VA matches the contribution.
This program is available to veterans (or designated transferees) who qualify for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Examples included: served an aggregate of 36 months of active duty service, released for a service connected disability after 30 continuous days, Fry Scholars, Purple Heart recipient on or after 9/11/21. For a complete list visit: https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/post-9-11/yellow-ribbon-program/
Please complete the following steps below in order to use your education benefits while enrolled at Life West:
- Go to the Official VA website and apply online for your GI Bill of choice.
- Fax or scan a copy of the following documents to:
- Member 4 copy or Service 2 copy of the DD214 (does not apply for active duty)
- Veterans Online Application (VONAPP)
- Certification of Eligibility (COE)
- Verify your certifications, payment, and eligibility by calling the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.
- If you have misplaced any documentation needed to initiate the process of applying for VA education benefits, your record can be requested at: www.archives.gov/veterans/.