WHAT IS CHIROPRACTIC?
- Chiropractic is a natural health care approach which is focused on restoring the spine and nervous system to full function. Chiropractors gently adjust the spine in order to create spinal balance and to allow the body to heal itself naturally. The Health Center at Life West combines expert experience and technology in a teaching environment.
HOW CAN CHIROPRACTIC HELP ME?
Chiropractors understand that the body is a self-healing, self-regulating and self-developing organism. Our bodies are designed to live a long and vibrant life. Chiropractors focus on the spine because the spine houses and protects the nerve system. The nerve system controls and coordinates the communication in the body. When vertebrae in the spine lose their normal alignment, this may negatively affect the nerves in that area which leads to loss of function. With change in structure, this is called a subluxation.
Chiropractors work with people with a wide range of health conditions and symptoms, not just neck or back pain. In every case, the job of the chiropractor is to assess the nerve system for optimum function and to restore that full communication by adjusting the spine back to its proper position.
Consider the expression of health and life as a continuum. On one end of the spectrum there is optimal health, while one the other end is death. You live your life along this spectrum and depending on what you do on a regular basis,you have the choice to become a little stronger or a little weaker. You know the choices to help make you healthier: drink plenty of water, get the proper amount of rest, maintain a positive mental attitude and focus, eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean protein. But the one thing that is often overlooked is to make sure your nerve system is free of interference. When is the last time someone checked your nerve system for optimal function?
Figure 1 Bloomingnow.com
Think of the cells of the body communication as a cell phone signal. When you have five bars, you have a clear connection between you and the person you’re talking to. Everything is clear; you can hear and understand the conversation. However, what happens when you drive through a tunnel? Or are in a remote area? The signal is reduced and talking with someone becomes frustrating because every other word is missed. That’s what a subluxation, or a misaligned vertebra that maybe developing a loss of nerve communication with brain and areas of the body, can be like in your body. Healthy signals have difficulty getting to the tissues and organs that they are connected to, resulting in poorer state of health and loss of normal function.When you speak with a chiropractor, you’re educated that while the body is healing, pain acts as a warning system to restrict the body from activity until it’s fully healed. The chiropractor focuses on healing the root of the problem using logic, reason, and scientific principle driven by a philosophy of health.
WHAT IS A SUBLUXATION?
- A subluxation refers to the state of the spine when the bones are not in a stable and appropriate position. This causes irritation within your nervous system. Since your nervous system is responsible for your body’s ability to heal and repair, any hindrance to healthy and free-flowing communication internally can result in a variety of problems in your body
MORE ON VERTEBRAL SUBLUXATION
Have you ever felt “off”? You’re too tired, you have a headache, or you simply don’t sleep well? This could be an effect of a subluxation. There are over 200 bones in your body that are held together by joints, which are very close to your spinal cord. Any joint motion that is too much or too little can have a serious result.
When the spine shifts out of its normal alignment it puts pressure and irritation to your delicate nerve system which is the information superhighway that dictates every single function of your body. Your nerve system controls how much blood your heart pumps, how many times you breathe, how your body digests the food you take in, how much sleep you get and how much energy you have during the day. Your nerve system is the master control system in your body, and so you can imagine if there is irritation present from the misalignment of your spine, you will certainly be less healthy.
HOW DO YOU GET SUBLUXATIONS?
The three common causes of subluxations are physical, emotion, and chemical. Physical subluxations can be caused by slipping and falling, car accident, or repetitive motion such as in sports. Emotional subluxations can stem from stress, anger or fear. Chemical subluxations are a result from alcohol, drugs, a poor diet, and pollution, just to name a few.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE A SUBLUXATION?
You can have a subluxation and not even know it. Just like you go to your dentist to check for tooth decay or cavities, you should see a chiropractor on a regular basis to get your spine checked. Subluxations can be present before any warning sign (or pain) appears. Your chiropractic doctor and intern will be able to locate and determine the severity.
We’ve got your back!
Chiropractic doctors are the only licensed health care professionals that are dedicated to finding, reducing, and preventing spinal subluxations.
WHAT CAN I DO AT HOME TO IMPROVE MY RESULTS?
- The best way to maximize your results is to follow your intern’s home care plan. As your care progresses your intern may introduce stretching and strengthening exercises to help you improve
WHY IS THERE A SOUND DURING AN ADJUSTMENT?
- The sound you are hearing is not bone hitting bone. The noise is simply the release of gas which has build up at the disc space. Imagine the noise a cork makes when you open a bottle of champagne. The noise is the change in pressure that occurs in the joint space, just like popping your knuckles. You may not always hear a loud popping sound, but it does occur.
WHEN WILL I SEE RESULTS?
- Each case and person is different. Your chiropractic intern will do a full exam, assess your situation, recommend a recovery plan tailored to you. At Life Chiropractic College West we break down your care plans into 3 different stages: Corrective, Rehabilitation, and Wellness. Your intern will explain your stage and your options to you fully.
CAN A CHILD BENEFIT FROM CHIROPRACTIC CARE?
- Children have the same potential to benefit from chiropractic care as adults. If a child becomes subluxated (via falls, sports, the birth process or any number of common occurrences) they will also experience a change in their bodies ability to function optimally. Studies have shown that it’s safe to adjust children. It’s a gentle and non-invasive practice that is different from adults. If your child is experiencing signs of poor health, we suggest seeking out a chiropractic opinion for a natural, drug free option.
IS CHIROPRACTIC CARE SAFE?
- Chiropractic care is safe, gentle, and effective. Your care will be delivered under the supervision of experience licensed doctors of chiropractic.
DO I HAVE A PINCHED NERVE?
- The pain that many patients feel comes from muscles which are in spasm rather than from a “pinched nerve”. When the spine is returned to its optimal position most spinal muscle pain improves. We will do a thorough assessment of your spine and nervous system to determine if you can be helped by chiropractic care.
HOW DOES CHIROPRACTIC WORK?
- Chiropractors move the gently move bones in your spine. A chiropractic adjustment relieves irritation to your nervous system and spine. As a result, your body will function at a more optimal level. Chiropractors use their understanding and expertise of the body and brain connection to assist your body to heal itself – without drugs or surgery.