Educational benefits are available to veterans attending Life West through a variety of assistance programs provided by the federal government.
Life West students are eligible to use the following benefit options:
- The GI Bill ® *
- The Post – 9/11 GI Bill ® *
- Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program
- Survivors & Dependent Assistance
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
To check your eligibility go to : www.GIBILL.va.gov
*GI bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about educatoin benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/
Point of Contact for Veterans: Brenda Johnson, Financial Aid Director and VA Certifying Official. Brenda may refer veterans to other individuals on campus to provide appropriate services.
How does it work?
The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010
This program caps payment at $22,805 for a 12 month period (from July 1st to June 30th annually) for private education. In addition, the Post-9/11 Act provides a monthly stipend up to $3,273 and a $1,000 annual book allowance.
The Post-9/11 GI Bill offers financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of collective service on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Those service members also must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the funding. If you have less than 36 months of service, all benefits are prorated based upon your length of service.
Yellow Ribbon Program
At Life West, tuition for a 12 month period would exceed the private education cap of $22,805. Therefore, we recommend that eligible veterans participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
Life West is approved for this specialized program which allows the VA and educational institutions to enter into agreements to help cover the cost of tuition above the cap for private colleges. The plan covers all undergraduate and graduate tuition not already provided for by the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.
This program is available to veterans (or designated transferee) who have served an aggregate of 36 months of active duty service or who were released for a service connected disability.
Please complete the following steps below in order to use your education benefits while enrolled at Life West:
- Go to the Official VA website and apply online for your GI Bill of choice.
- Fax or scan a copy of the following documents to:
- Member 4 copy or Service 2 copy of the DD214 (does not apply for active duty)
- Veterans Online Application (VONAPP)
- Certification of Eligibility (COE)
- Verify your certifications, payment, and eligibility by calling the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.
- If you have misplaced any documentation needed to initiate the process of applying for VA education benefits, your record can be requested at: www.archives.gov/veterans/.